Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Oh Where Is the Water?...

Oh where is the water? Oh where, oh where, oh where, oh where, oh where... is the water?!?! (sing in a cucumber voice)

Crazy. People are crazy. How do you get an enormous population to the brink of being waterless and not do anything about it until 37 days before zero? The news is filled with reports of area municipalities about to run out of water. I just don't understand what's going on here. I have been impressed by the attention being paid to water conservation in this area since moving here. But figured that the campaigns would be much stronger if they were this close to trouble. This is way too little, way too late. They've only scratched the surface. There are so many other water saving tips/incentives that should have been pushed LONG before now.

We're now embarking on a tri-state battle for water allocation. Someone wisely asked the governor, "How could growth go unchecked for so long while so little was being done about this? Why are we only now concerned about this?" The governor refused to respond.

This isn't just Georgia's story. It's the same everywhere. Our family is swapping one clueless place for another. I'm embarrassed to admit that the place we've decided to rent is surrounded by a lovely lawn... in the dessert, and there's not much we can do about it. (Does that sound weak of me or what? I vow to tackle the HOA as soon as I settle.)

Why aren't people getting this? How can politicians (who I otherwise like) get this far in presidential campaigns without paying a scrap of attention to climate change and the exploitation of finite resources? Projecting what could happen if we stay this course is enough to make me consider basing my vote on this one factor alone. I'm not a doomsayer, I'm a scientist. The writing's on the wall. The earth is changing. We've got to adapt our patterns.

I'll start... I'm proud of our car that hasn't been washed since we moved here. (Ha ha ha, I wish our intentions were that noble.)

2 comments:

Beth said...

Water conservation was talked about ALL the time when I lived in the desert west, but out here I haven't heard a thing. Is it just because it's wet out here and we have water to spare? It's so weird to live in an area more prone to flooding than drought. Is that Georgia's thing? Seems that people outside of the desert don't think about water conservation much at all. Drives me bonkers.

Sarah said...

Hey Beth, Sorry for the lack of response. Your observations are very interesting. Wish I knew the answer. I think that as you suggested, Georgia is probably so used to abundant water supply that it's just never been an issue. It's an easy groove to fall into, but I'm coming to feel that we're reaching a point where people should be more conscious of their impact on every resource they use no matter where they are. Fortunately, I think it's starting to happen (slowly).